Coracao Confections

During the last year I gained about 40 lbs and weigh almost 200 lbs. This is the most I have ever weighed in my life.
It's a little scary to share this and be vulnerable with you because it's not something I want you to know. But I know it's a challenge many of us deal with and think it's important to talk about...
How do we enjoy life fully and stay healthy?
Eating delicious food makes me really happy and is a huge part of feeling like I'm living a full & abundant life.

Although one of the primary reasons I gained so much weight, is that I just had a baby! While my partner was pregnant our regular exercise routines became non-existant and eating french fries & Mr Dewey's cashew ice cream (so good), while watching netflix became regular sins.
My partner and I had a healthy & beautiful baby girl on Valentine's Day. As a side note, I never thought I would be a dad. Though now that I am I can't imagine not having this amazing, heart opening experience.
Since my daughter was born I have been really committed to getting healthy again.

As of now our netflix account has been cancelled and we are back to making bi-weekly pilgramages to the farmers market. Loading up on veggies, extra virgin olive oil, avos, almond butter & salad greens.

One thing that has been immeasurably helpful in helping both of us feel better and shed fat is, not eating any sugar (even fruit) 6 days a week. *We have a cheat day on Saturday when we eat sweets.*

This may seem like a crazy share since I own a chocolate company.

Though one of our new items has actually been a lifesaver for me. I love sweets and this helped me get through all my cravings without feeling like I was missing out.

Whenever I would have a bad craving or want dessert, I would take a square of our Sugar Free dark chocolate bar and spread a little almond butter on it. So good. The bar tastes amazing, it's 78% dark and has whole leaf stevia and birch based xylitol. The flavor kind of reminds me of eating a Hershey's Kiss ©. It's ultra low glycemic and totally satisfies my sweet cravings.

One of my highest values is sharing healthy & delicious food with the world. This bar is a great expression of that and is really great for those times when you want to cut back on sweets and still want to enjoy your life to the fullest.

I've been doing this for about a month now and have lost 15 lbs and counting. I feel stronger, clearer and more healthy than I have in a long time.

Wishing you vibrant health on your journey,

PS. Leave a comment below and let me know what big turning points you've had this year. Feel free to share any sugar free sweet tips or recipes below.
*Here's the link to the sugar free bar:

Written by Coracao Confections — April 05, 2015

April 06 2015 at 09:04 PM

I haven’t tasted the sugar free Bar yet, I will definitely try it. Thank you for making a sugar free chocolate!! Love your company!

April 06 2015 at 09:04 PM

Joni S.:

Congrats on the new baby and the weight loss. Nice share.

April 06 2015 at 11:04 PM

You’re an inspiration! best wishes to you, your wife and new baby!

April 07 2015 at 07:04 AM

Congratulations to you and your partner on your sweet little girl – and thank you for being so brave to share your story!

April 07 2015 at 07:04 AM

I shed 30+ lbs in 4 months doing the same, sugar and grain free. I feel so great going from a size 14 to size 6. Now to build up muscle. That’s my next step

Congrats and before long your little one will have you moving so fast you will be exhausted and in great shape. ?

April 07 2015 at 07:04 AM

shannonmarie (rawdorable):

Congrats on the new baby and on your weight-loss journey. My hubby’s weight went up and down w/mine, too, when I had my kids. It’s just part of the process.

April 07 2015 at 07:04 AM

Linda Noble Brown:

First of all, many blessings on the new addition to your family! Kids make life worthwhile – they relieve you of that “it’s all about me” idea, and bring new eyes to your own life.
As to your physical struggles, this was so brave of you to share such a personal experience. So many of us have issues around weight. Ken and I do a 46-day Lenten Juice Fast every year, and that has been a great help to us. Last year we became whole food vegans after watching “Forks Over Knives”. And this year we will be combining that with trying the “Fast Metabolism Diet”. We will let you know how that goes!
Since becoming whole-food vegan (whole grains, no sugar or oil), I have started a dedicated FaceBook page because so many people were asking for my recipes. Hopefully this will also benefit you on your journey! It’s called “Lunch at the Brown’s”, and the address is: .
Blessings to you, your wife and your new little one!

April 07 2015 at 07:04 AM

Can y’all please start distributing to Trader Joe’s? Please!

April 07 2015 at 07:04 AM

Thanks Shannonmarie, Jeanine & Dugan. Linda, I appreciate the share and your FB page looks healthy & Delicious!

April 07 2015 at 08:04 AM

Daniel :

Hi Deanna, we’d love to. We’re working on being able to make a lot more chocolate without sacrificing quality or purity. Hopefully in the near future we’ll be able to offer it to bigger accounts and get it into Trader Joe’s for you.

April 07 2015 at 08:04 AM

Congratulations on your baby.

So important and inspiring to share your challenge and your action plan. It’s not the falling that matters, it’s how we rise. I’m always conflicted by pastry chefs and ice-cream makers. When they are plus 20 or 30 lbs more than what I think is healthy, it turns me off. When they are thin, I hate on them. Finding the balance is key. Sweet is pleasurable and offers joy. Shouldn’t we have a way of having some without tipping the scales? Keep sharing, you are a role model. Alissa

April 07 2015 at 08:04 AM

Congratulations to you both on the birth of your daughter! Regarding weight loss, drinking green smoothies 4 days a week allowed me to let go of 10 lbs in 5 months 2 years ago that I’ve kept off, in addition to letting go of 5 more lbs from swing dancing 2-3 nights/week since last Sept. When I wanted something sweet to eat I ate dates (If I didn’t have your delicious chocolates around.)

April 07 2015 at 08:04 AM

Congrats on your new valentine❤️
I have a similar issue. I work in a busy chocolate shop and it has caused me to gain weight as well as raise my glucose . The good part is: all my customers are so happy! I heard that to fight carb craving to take a bite of almond butter or even peanut butter. I have been trying to stay away from refined sugars but I still use some coconut sugar and honey in my baking plus extra dark chocolate . This alone helps me feel more balanced and lose weight. Now I have to get to the point of letting all sugars go! Not easy. Sounds like you are on the right path! 15 lbs in a month! Awesome!

April 07 2015 at 08:04 AM

caroline muir:

The sugar free bar is fantastic… the highest quality of taste and satisfaction, and I must add… a gorgeous treat to unwrap and give to myself. I love things that are
wrapped exquisitely, and Coracao chocolates are the best. Now I have learned to add the almond butter!!!

April 07 2015 at 08:04 AM

Diana, dancing and green smoothies sounds like an awesome way to go! We’ve making green smoothies 3 days a week. They are amazing. Caroline, happy to hear you like it. Thanks Karine!

April 07 2015 at 08:04 AM

Terri Cole:

I was fortunate to be a recipe tester for a book that will be published in June. I cannot recommend it highly enough! The Abundance Diet is a whole foods plant-based plan that really works. I gained 15 pounds over the winter and I’m using what I learned while testing to get myself back to where I need to be. I’m including the Amazon link to the book below. (I have nothing to gain if anyone orders the book. I just want people to know how amazing it is!) Also, congrats on your new baby!!

April 07 2015 at 10:04 AM

Such happy news for you. Will you share your daughter’s name?

I wish you the most happiest of lives growing healthfully together as a family.

I will try your new bar! One question though, I was under the impression that stevia is not so good for us? Obviously you are more informed on the product. Would love to know more about your decision to use it and xilitol. Happy thoughts to you.

April 07 2015 at 10:04 AM

Laura Cirolia:

Big hug East Bay Brother.

Thanks for sharing your journey into parenthood!

A big turning point for me this year was to begin taking guitar lessons (at 53) —and from my Dad! I’ve wanted to learn an instrument so I asked him for lessons. It’s been amazing to learn new songs and re-learn old songs he sang in the 60’s. And I am grateful to be learning from him as I respect and love him very much.

I am really discovering how music plays on the heartstrings and bubbles love and creativity to the surface. I know six chords now with more to come.

Also, as for the sugar— as a mother of two gals (now adults) I understand that becoming a parent can unearth areas in life that are ready to grow and shift.

I feel it is important to get to the real basis of WHY all the sugar, deep fried foods, lack of energy and inability to support yourself and significant other in healthy ways during the pregnancy.

Removing the sugar makes sense, but the next focus may be the underlying unhappiness that created the cravings and lack of motivation.

I know from meeting you at the market and reading your messages over the years that you are a person who is interested in personal growth and human development, so you may understand the value of taking a look deeper not just accepting the problem/solution paradigm.

I know we parents can up-level and when we do, it up-levels the actual potential of our children. Their epigenome and genetic expression of health, vitality and powerful abilities. After one particularly potent process I did for myself, my daughter changed her liberal arts major to Pre-Med—-acing loads of heavy science and math classes. without a math and science background or High school AP classes with activated brainpower and consciousness to support expanded potential.

I you are interested, I have a day-long workshop this weekend on Saturday from 10:30-5:30. I host one every six months or so. It is deep, fast and loving work that has immediate results. My step-mom, a former trainer of EST trainers and long time assistant to W.E. will attend. The processes that are in use now address the next level of personal evolution and are quite a surprise. They can be used solo or with a partner.

Feel free to connect if you are interested… please call or e-mail to ask any questions. I’d be happy to share this breakthrough information with you.
Warmly, Laura

April 07 2015 at 11:04 AM

Angie N.:

THANK YOU D… for sharing so openly of yourself. It’s an inspiration to show up more to my own life exactly as I am.

I too became a new mama this year and it’s been the hardest/most heart crushing/hardest/amazing/hardest/most giggly smiley/hardest experience of my life.

I gave up eating chocolate and a lot of other things (like sugar, gluten, grains, soy, milk etc.) during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It’s really nice to know I can have this sugar-free treat now… It reminds me of my dedication to health and the health of my baby girl while still being able to enjoy my love of good food.

Thanks for creating this and having a great offering to all those who also would like to have a healthful sweet treat!

April 07 2015 at 12:04 PM

Tamara Sturak:

Your honesty and story inspires me. So many people are going through your struggle, so I applaud your sharing. One year ago, I learned that in order to make my liver healthy I needed to avoid dairy, soy, sugar, alcohol, red meat. I found that if I eat just a tiny bit of the highest quality chocolate (like yours), it satisfied me. When I buy your dark chocolate mylk, I take one or two sips each day. It works! I wish you and your family all the best with your new healthy eating habits. Know that you are setting a great example for your child’s lifelong health.

April 07 2015 at 12:04 PM

Congratulations to you and your partner on the birth of your newborn. Health and happiness to you all!
What a lovely email.
Best to you on the continued health gains!

April 07 2015 at 01:04 PM

SUGAR-FREE I just made some hot chocolate sauce for ice cream with dark cocoa powder, water, little milk, vanilla, and corn starch (<—organic). No sugar. it was great, but of course the ice cream has the sugar. But then I took the leftover syrup and added more milk and corn starch and cardamon, cinnamon, and a tiny bit of pure pineapple juice (Lakewood Organic), and cooked it up into a pudding. Oh my is this good—satisfying, and not at all bitter. I have to admit that I didn’t use any Coracao product, but if you provide plain dark chocolate powder, I will. (People new to corn starch have to learn how to use it and it takes patience to make the pudding.Otherwise, it’s easy.) Daniel—I think it’s possible to create delicious Caracao products without sugar and without any chemical substitutes. I wish you and your family health & joy.

April 07 2015 at 06:04 PM

Thanks, Daniel, for having the courage to share your honest story about your weight gain w/us! Congratulations to you & your partner re. your Valentine’s Day baby daughter. Wishing the 3 of you the best always! Also, congratulations, for losing 18 pounds; that’s admirable! I think if you eat a very healthy, organic, & balanced plant-based diet and exercise regularly, some fruit and small amounts of sweets & healthy chocolate (like yours) are generally fine and should not contribute to weight gain. I am a long-term customer who enjoys your chocolate in moderation. Wishing you good health, happiness, & longevity! And thanks for your labor of love w/Coracao Confections! Warmly, Susanne

April 07 2015 at 07:04 PM

Congratulations on your new baby girl! What a delight for Valentine’s day. Definitely an inspiration to be healthy. Your amazing chocolate definitely has a place in a healthy nutrition plan.

April 07 2015 at 09:04 PM

Hamsa Vicerra:

Hello Daniel!

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter-may she bring much joy and laughter to your family! Thank you for having the courage & trust to share your story with us. I hope you have taken into your heart what I hear over & over in the responses here: Don’t be embarrassed or ashamed. Nobody expects you to fit any image of perfection.

I just wish I could heal my own feelings about my weight when it’s more than I want it to be. I’ve live the last 12 1/2 have M

April 08 2015 at 08:04 AM

Hamsa Vicerra:

Eek! I posted the above by accident-I don’t know which key I hit. Sigh.

I meant the last sentence fragment to read: For the last 14 yrs I’ve used a wheelchair b/c I have MS. I can’t exercise enough to burn a significant number of calories, b/c the more I use my muscles the weaker & less responsive they become. Consequently, my weight goes up & down-up more often than down. In my mid-40s I suddenly lost about 15 lbs w/o changing my eating at all. Totally thrilling! Most of it came back in 6 or 7 months, & periodically I’d gain another 2 or 3 or 10 lbs-my b’day or menopause presents, I’d ruefully call them. From about 51 to 56, trying to pinpoint food sensitivities, I gave up gluten, all sweeteners, raw fruit, dairy, soy & more, until about all I was eating was millet, quinoa, rice & other seeds, cooked vegetables & occasionally cooked fruit, lentils, beans, lean animal protein & fish, eggs, good fats, & herbs & spices. Did I lose any weight? Not an ounce. I began eating most of the banned foods again & eventually gained some more weight, then last winter lost 28 lbs prior to landing in a physical rehab facility. I put myself on a very-low-fat, low-mammal-protein diet for the month I was there, & still gained 6 pounds. Arg! Frustrating. Since coming home I’ve gained maybe another 10 lbs; I have to admit that probably 3 or 4 are due to a 12-day not-always-raw 1 oz/day chocolate bender, & another 1-1.5 are b/c of my lack of self-control in the face of my husband’s incomparable cornbread.

Every time I gain weight, I try to remember that it’s an opportunity to accept myself unconditionally, to stop caring about others’ opinions of my appearance. At 58, I’m still working on it. At this point in my life, it may be true that living a joyful & deeply nourished life may mean gaining some weight, & learning to be OK w/it. I can imagine being OK w/“some,” but not w/a lot.

In that vein, I’d like to share a very-low-sugar or no-sugar recipe I’ve invented. It’s basically amazake+cocoa – sometimes I call it cocoazake. In a small pot or saucepan, stir 2 TB cocoa (raw or not, your choice) into 3 or 4 oz.any flavor amazake-coconut’s my favorite flavor for this :-). Stir very well, until the cocoa’s thoroughly dissolved. Add enough amazake to bring the total amount to 8 oz. If you like, you can add coconut palm sugar or other sweetener to taste, plus cinnamon, cardamon, or any other spice you might like. You could also add raw chocolate, or use one of coracaoconfections mixes. (I’m not trying to get folks to make their own instead of using yours, Daniel-I really did think of this on my own!) The amazake is quite sweet on its own, so I feel like it only needs a little bit of sweet to balance the cocoa’s bitterness. When everything’s in the pot, put it on a low fame & warm slowly to your desired temp, stirring often-don’t let it boil :-). This makes such a rich, thick, creamy drink, & the combination of cocoa & amazake is somehow so perfect that I sigh with delight at each deeply satisfying sip. It’s wonderfully warming on cold mornings, & it makes a great dessert or evening drink. I hope you enjoy it!

April 08 2015 at 02:04 PM