Coracao Confections

A Mexican woman who is believed to be the oldest human ever, turned 127 earlier this year and has claimed chocolate is to credit for her longevity.

Leandra Becerra Lumbreras was born on August 31, 1887 and has lived through every historical event of the last century. She was 27 at the beginning of World War I and 82 when man first set foot on the moon.

Leandra with great great grand child (Photo: El Horizonte)

Her family says that chocolate is the key to her long life, as well as getting lots of sleep, never getting married and keeping busy.

"She was still sewing and weaving until about two years ago... She never ceased to be active." granddaughter Miriam Alvear, 43, told El Horizonte.

Ms Lumbreras believes her love of chocolate played a factor in her long life.

"She is entirely lucid. She blows your mind with stories from the revolution," Lumbreras's granddaughter told El Horizonte

The former seamstress has 73 great-grandchildren and 55 great-great-grandchildren.

What do you think about this story and do you believe chocolate can help you live a longer life, if so why? Leave a comment below and let us know.

Written by Coracao Confections — October 29, 2014

Comments

Nadine:

Good clean living and good quality chocolate…love it :-)

October 29 2014 at 04:10 PM

Lisa Lefemine:

what a beautiful woman. chocolate is magic bliss. when you I eat it I feel more creative and energetic and happier. it gives me fortitude. thank you for the lovely chocolates you make. I really like the caramel .

October 29 2014 at 04:10 PM

dita:

Certainly! Not any kind of food that is referred to as “chocolate” but the kind you guys make. (I bought and sent a bunch of your chocolate to my Soulmate who is into really healthy foods and he loves them too! Thanks.) Raw cacao has a long list of beneficial compounds and antioxidants along with minerals and its ability to assist in the assimilation of nutrients eaten along with it. That is why it has earned the label “superfood” and that is why I make and eat some every day!… :)
Yes, It can contribute to longevity!
xoxo

October 29 2014 at 04:10 PM

Karen:

I think it’s entirely possible that chocolate played a role in her longevity! It contains plenty of antioxidants and good fats. So long as you’re eating high quality chocolate there really are no down sides.
I would also tend to believe that the rest of her diet is pretty clean. Ie, she probably wasn’t supplementing the chocolate with McDonald’s or other fast food!!

October 29 2014 at 04:10 PM

Chocolate Lover:

It’s all about the antioxidants!

October 29 2014 at 04:10 PM

Lania:

That’s a great point about the clean diet Karen.
Also there have also been a couple large studies in recent years showing that happier people live longer. Chocolate triggers the release of seratonin and dopamine- Actually making you feel happier.

October 29 2014 at 04:10 PM

Louisa:

I’d be curious what type of chocolate. I imagine it is dark chocolate. I wonder how she got started on that.

October 29 2014 at 06:10 PM

Joanna:

Dark chocolate is a great natural source of iron, which is partially why we crave it during our cycle.

October 29 2014 at 06:10 PM

Phil:

Dark chocolate conveys a spiritual quality that is hard to express in words.
If I could think of that word it might be love.

October 29 2014 at 07:10 PM

Tati:

Obviously chocolate can be broken down into it’s chemical constituents— But simply put, chocolate is like my love vitamin. Reminding me to open my heart and choose the optimistic attitude of gratitude. Now that’s a remedy for longevity <3

October 29 2014 at 07:10 PM

Pamela:

The power of phytochemicals!

October 29 2014 at 09:10 PM

Zsuzsanna :

What an inspitaratuon! I would love to sit with this beautiful soul and hear all of her stories! How blessed she is to have lived such a long and productive life. I do believe genetics play a big part, but also the ability to manage stress and inflammation are known to be key too, and good healthy chocolate helps us do that!

October 30 2014 at 12:10 PM

Zsuzsanna :

What an inspiration! I would love to sit with this beautiful soul and hear all of her stories! How blessed she is to have lived such a long and productive life. I do believe genetics play a big part, but also the ability to manage stress and inflammation are known to be key too, and good healthy chocolate helps us do that!

October 30 2014 at 12:10 PM

Alix:

I would have to agree with everyone on the health front and let"s not forget the the release of serotonin in the brain for an all over sense of well being, I traveled to see my grandmother who I am proud to say she is 95! she volunteers at the soup kitchen monthly and feeds shut-ins from her church and also plays a mean hand of pinuckle (card game). well, I bring her your truffles when I see her and she just beams with delight. So if chocolate helps with longevity then I will continue my chocolate habit and always send or bring some to my grandmother. Thank for developing the best chocolate ever!

October 31 2014 at 08:10 AM

Please note: comments must be approved before they are published.

Finally! a healthy Chocolate

Thank you for choosing the best for your body! All of our chocolates are made with the purest ingredients, including raw cacao, which is full of antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, and those "happy brain" chemicals that we so love. It is our mission to provide you with deliciously decadent and nutrient rich options to common junk food chocolates. We hope you enjoy!

Make sure to sign up for our newsletter below and be entered to WIN a $25 gift certificate! Just enter your email address and click "GO"!